Thursday, October 9, 2008

All is well in Munich

"Munich?" you ask. As I begin this post, I realize that some of our blog followers might not know why we are here. Most of you do know that Geoff has been struggling with chronic back pain for almost two years. I can still remember the day that Geoff came home from from a bike ride and mentioned that he thought he "did something" to his back. That "something" turned out to be a herniated disc that was eventually operated on last fall. Unfortunately, after months and months of extensive rehab with specialists from near and far, the severe pain had not subsided and continued to grow worse. We soon came to realize that this was not something that would eventually correct itself. In fact, one of his post-op tests revealed that two of his discs were in trouble. Going forward, Geoff's options included either a fusion or a two level disc replacement.
Anyone who has known my husband for more than 5 minutes, knows that he does not approach anything in life half heartedly. After hours upon hours of research, we decided that a disc replacement was the best choice for Geoff. And when it comes to back surgery, you don't get many chances to do it right..which is why we chose one of the two best surgeons in the world in this field.
So, here we are, in Munich, Germany! Logan and I will be posting most days, so check back to see what we are up to!
Here are a few pics of our trip so far:

Dan and Liz brought us tacos for dinner the night before we left. After running around town all weekend, it was nice not having to think about what to cook (not that I would have:).

Cousins: Logan, Lauren, and Ryan


Little buddies


Early Tuesday morning, sweet Heather made two trips to the airport for us...one to drop us off, and another to pick us up. I won't bore you with the details, but we did finally make it out on Tuesday evening. Logan was an angel on the flight and slept the whole night. I, on the other hand, was a sight to see by the time we got to Germany. I told Geoff that I wished someone would just take a hose to spray me down after traveling overseas with a newborn.

Snug as a bug on our flight to London.


Logan was so happy to spread out on the bed once we finally made it to the hotel.


Busted!! Geoff is a very hands-on daddy, but he was totally busted in this picture. I asked him to watch Logan while I took a shower and this is what I found when I came out. (By the way, is anyone else noticing the similar hairlines in this picture??:)


Aunt Lizzy stopped by to give me this hat for our trip since she knew the weather would be chilly. Geoff wasn't sure about it at first, but oh my goodness! Could he be any cuter??


..and this is what I'll be doing a lot of in the waiting room over the next few days. Geoff had a million consults and tests today, so Logan and I decided to make ourselves comfortable. Do I look tired or what?! I've hardly been able to keep my head up today, and Logan has been sleeping non stop..which makes me very worried about tonight (sigh).

3 comments:

Nikki said...

Thanks for the update! We'll keep praying for you all... especially for tonight's baby festivities! By the way, you're much braver than I was at the whole "feeding in public" thing with baby #1... way to go, sister!

Love to you... N and the boys (and #3)

Heather said...

Praise God you made it!! You will adjust to the sleep thing. Give it a few days. Just sleep when he does- Geoff will need rest anyway.
We love you and we will be checking up and waiting for great news!
Love you!!!

Stefany Gess said...

Thank you for the update. We are praying. I am so glad you have wifi and your computer! We love you guys.